Pages

Saturday 14 April 2012

Zero carb no more....

UK 2012
Almost up to date at last. The story is nearly completed. I am very excited to see I have some readers! Hello! And thank you so much for stopping by to read my blog. I would love it if you could leave a message to say hi.

And to new people, who have not been here before, my story starts with the first post of the blog. You can find it at the bottom of the menu on the left, or you can just go to the bottom of the page, where it says 'older posts' and work your way back to the very first post.

So I flew off to the UK again. The diet went to pot. It started on the plane. As my first stop was Australia, I couldn't take any food with me. By the time I got to Bangkok I was famished, however there was nowhere to buy food there as we went through straight to a waiting area and then back onto the plane. The next time the food came around I said yes. The tray was the usual mixture of horrors, but there was a bread roll. And butter. I ate it. Then I ate the meal. But not the desert. I also ate the next meal. Then I reached Dubai. Our plane was late and there was a rush to get through the airport to the next plane. Dubai to the UK. I had been looking forward to this leg, as I had used my points to upgrade to business. I had never been in business before, and it was great! When the food came round, a white tablecloth was laid on my table, and I was given a menu. I chose the steak.

I also ate the warm crusty rolls, and the 2 lovely chocolates. After all I had blown the diet anyway, so I might as well enjoy myself.....

And anyway I could always eat properly when I got there, long haul was an exception, wasn't it?

And I was on holiday.

And I had been doing so well I deserved a break.

Oh yes, all those well worn excuses, one bread roll and there they are, back again!

When I got there it was obvious Dad was not well, and a hospital visit soon after I arrived confirmed this. There was no more they could do. We had a great time, though. I was there 2 and a half weeks, and Dad and I had some great chats. We even got out for a drive one day. There were a number of things to sort out, which we did, but we also managed to have a good time together.

The food was funny. Dad could only eat tiny amounts, and he needed variety. He could only eat a thing twice before it turned to ashes in his mouth. And he needed to eat every hour. So everyday I set out shopping to find nourishing different things. I would come back with a scotch egg, a slice of ham, some strong cheese, and some crackers. Dad would eat a sliver of egg, and a cracker and ham. An hour later he would have another cracker and a sliver of cheese. That would be it for the crackers. An hour later and another sliver of egg and cheese, and that would be scotch egg and cheese off the menu. Guess what mother and I had for lunch? You've got it, scotch egg, cheese and crackers.

The next day would be the same. This time I might make a casserole, dad would manage a spoonful twice and then he would be unable to tolerate it any longer. This led to some hilarious meals as the rest of the family used up what was left over. It also meant any trip out turned in to a hunter gather expedition for novel tastes.

I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it! After a zero carb diet, all these different foods were wonderful. And of course I was eating bread. Lovely bread, white crusty bread, dark sough-dough bread, nutty wholemeal bread. I had bread for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

By the time came to leave, I was eating sugar as well. Chocolate, fudge, yogurt coated banana chips....

The flight home was great. Business (on points) to Dubai. Dubai to Bangkok in economy, and amazingly, from Bankok all the way home...an upgrade! Let us just say...I enjoyed the food, particularly the sticky date loaf.....

6 days later, my father died.

Sod the food.



No comments:

Post a Comment