Pages

Saturday 7 April 2012

Weight gain. How did I get fat?

Weight gain...the history! How did I get fat?

 I was a skinny child, the sort parents and doctors worried about. I grew up thin, I did things like kayaking and hill walking. I got married and we honeymooned on Skye in Scotland, and climbed mountains.

 I had a baby, and put on a bit of weight. I had another baby and put on a little more weight. Not much, just a few pounds, however it bothered me. So I joined a slimming club.....

20 years and another baby later I was about 16 and a half stone, 105 kg, about 230 pounds or so. I don't know my top weight, I wasn't weighing!

Then it dawned on me, (I know...it took 20 years....) every diet I did I got fatter. So I stopped dieting, and stopped putting on weight, but sadly I didn't lose any either.

So there I was heavy but reasonably happy. I wore the big shirts, and anyway I wasn't really all that big, was I? Just a little plump. Anyway, I'm quite tall, I carry it well. You all know how it goes I'm sure....

Then in July 2010 my son and I went to the UK to visit my parents. Son had not seen his grandparents for 7 years. We had a wonderful time, visiting Stonehenge, Hadrian's Wall, London, and so on. It was also my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. Obviously we took a lot of photos.

And in them all was this big fat woman who looked a bit like me! I wasn't that fat, surely?





Photo, son and me at Stonehenge.

 We arrived back in New Zealand on the 31st of August 2010. I spent the next few days being awake at night and dozing through the day.
On the 3rd September we had a load of logs delivered. I helped stack them, but then I tweaked my back. As I had had a back operation several years ago, I took it seriously and went and lay down. That evening the back was sore, so I took pain killers and went to bed. I woke at about 2am wide awake and with a sore back. So I got up and made a cup of tea. After I had drunk it, I settled on the living room sofa, under a rug. I put the light out.

Almost as soon as I had done this, my world changed forever.

2 comments:

  1. Why? how? What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    A 7.2 earthquake hit!

    I blogged about it in the next post, called 'Earthquake' If you click newer post at the bottom of this page you will find it.

    Thank you for commenting

    Cheers
    Vanishing Woman.

    ReplyDelete