Pages

Saturday 14 April 2012

The Genesis of Running.

The genesis of running....well my running, anyway!

For a few weeks, I didn't care a great deal about dieting. But after a bit the acid reflux got to me and I went back on the paleo diet.

As my mind began to clear again, I started to think about running. I wanted to be able to run. I wanted to be fit. This was a matter of safety for me. My mind felt that if I could run to school, it wouldn't matter if the bridges were down. I could ford the river (or swim if it was high tide) and run to school, to the other side of the city, or wherever. This seems a bit overdramatic when I read it now, in cold blood. But this has been a difficult year or so, and maybe I AM rather overdramatic at the moment!

I talked to daughter 1, who is a runner, and to daughter 2 who is not, but fancied giving it a try. Then I made an appointment with my doctor. I have not been to the doctor for years, and as I am almost 50 and had a back operation 7 years ago, I thought I had better ask if there was any reason I shouldn't run.

It was my back that was worrying me. An accident 7 years ago had resulted in a spinal operation, that left me walking with sticks. After 6 months I dispensed with the sticks but retained a limp. My left foot was floppy, I could not lift it up towards my shins, or walk on my heels. I tried boots and braces, but found going barefoot was the best. I wore warm socks inside in winter and went barefoot as often as I could. The foot/leg got gradually better, but I always limped when I was tired, or wore stiff shoes. Heels were a no-no.

Fast forward 7 years, and you would never know anything had happened to me...unless I was very tired, or wore clumpy shoes. Thick soles were hopeless, and I sought out shoes with thin, light, flexible soles.

My doctor couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't try running, as long as I stopped if it hurt my back. So I gave it a go the very next day. I have a pair of trainers with super dooper running soles. I put them on and set out for a jog.

It was hopeless. My left foot was slapping down on the ground with very little control and my limp came back. So much for that bright idea.

The next day daughter 2 came for a visit. She asked how the running was going. She had been inspired by a book called 'Born to Run' (link and review in due course) where running barefoot, or in minimal shoes, was expounded. I already knew I could run barefoot...I chased the puppy on the beach barefoot daily...but I had no idea people actually RAN barefoot, nor had I heard of minimal shoes.

Daughter 2 and I found a start running plan at Active Canterbury, link , and I went out for Day 1 on Monday 5th March. I was totally barefoot, and ran on the beach. That night I came home and entered a 5k race to be held on 20th May!

I have been running ever since (all 6 weeks!) and I have discovered I love it. I now have some minimal running shoes, and can run without flapping or limping. I have taken it very slowly, and so far have not been injured. I never run more than 2 days in a row, and never rest more than 2 days in a row. This allows for a lot of flexibility, but I usually got out for 2 days, and then just take the 1 day off.

And this week I started back on the zero carb again.

Phew, up to date at last! That is my story. Now I will carry on blogging about things that interest me.

Oh yes, and the statistics for those who want them.

Female, 49 years old. 5'7"

Start weight, between 105 and 110kg. (The highest I ever saw on a scale was 108, but I know I was heavier than that)

Weight today 85kg

Goal 70kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment