Pages

Sunday 29 April 2012

Running and Runner's knee. Shoes, Sand, and Stretches.

Running and Runner's knee. Shoes, sand, and stretches.

Hello, sorry about the lack of posts over the last few days. Real life sort of caught up with me!

Runner's knee!

Oh boy, I have a pain in my left knee and it would seem to be runner's knee. This, apparently, happens if you run in:
a) the wrong shoes
b) any shoes at all
c) barefoot
d) on roads
f) on soft sandy surfaces
g) fast
h) slow
i) too long distances
j) up/down too many hills
k) direct trauma to the knee
l) flat feet
m) weak thigh muscles
n) tight hamstrings

I bet I could find more causes if I looked hard enough! I suspect in my case it is not helped by the fact that one leg is weaker than the other.

So...what to do?

Having just entered the 10k race at the Christchurch Marathon (3rd June) I don't really want to stop running. On the internet some people seem to manage to run through it and it gets better, and some don't and have to stop. Looking at the list, some things I can do something about and some I can't.

The plan.
I have reduced my distances for this week.
I will only run alternate days, and I will only run for half an hour. I will set out for 15 minutes, then turn around and come home.

I will ice and use ibuprofen to reduce swelling after running

I will run on the flat (no sand dunes)

I will work on strengthening my thigh muscles and stretching my hamstrings. The hamstrings on my game leg are much tighter than the other.

I will review the effects in a week.

Other than running, the diet is going OK, but I am often eating twice a day at the moment, with the running. I have moved the five hours of the 'fast 5' to 2pm to 7pm. This means if I am hungry I can eat early afternoon.

The next post will be all about eating and overeating. Causes and solutions. Watch this space!




No comments:

Post a Comment