Pages

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Problems with Paleo

June to September 2011

So there we were again! No sewage, no water, no power.

Things got back to normal, our normal that is, much more quickly this time. The schools and shops reopened.

My diet settled down. I was enjoying the paleo diet, and I ate well.

Very well.

Rather too well!

For breakfast I would have bacon and eggs and mushrooms.

Lunch would be some of last nights supper reheated.

Supper would be a (very) large plate of meat and vegis. I would have roast pork with crackling, with homemade, unsweetened apple sauce, and 3 or 4 different vegis.
Or a huge steak and lashings of salad.
Or a fish chowder made from salmon, white fish, butter and lashings of cream.

My evening snack would be a large bowl of berries smothered in heavy cream. Yum!

And throughout the day I would drink Earl Grey tea with heavy cream, and snack on paleo sausages, or cold lamb ribs if I felt like a little something.


It was not that surprising I didn't miss chocolate and cakes! I stopped losing weight, and even put a little back on. I went to paleo hacks and said things like...I'm following a paleo diet but I am not losing any weight. I found other websites and read them, trying to see what I was doing wrong. (Oh, there are none so blind....)

Although I wasn't losing any weight, I did feel very good. I had no heartburn or acid reflux, I had energy, and enjoyed walking daily on the beach with the puppy. My brain fog had almost vanished, and generally I just felt good.

I had those discussions with hubby, you know the ones, the ones that go..."perhaps I'm just meant to be this weight" or "maybe I broke something in my metabolism, and this is just the way things are" and so on. I decided to not worry about the weight, eat the paleo food and try and get a bit fitter. So I walked further and further, enjoyed my food, and got on with my life.

In September I cracked. The conversations had moved from "perhaps this is just the way things are" to "why does my life have to be like this? Other people don't live like this!"

I brought a great book called "Nourishing Traditions" (again, I will review later) that said grains were Ok if they were prepared correctly. I tried to make sourdough bread...and failed...so I brought a french stick and ate it with lashings of butter and ham. So I brought another one, and another one, and....

By the end of September I was eating anything and everything. It was great! However my weight was slowly and steadily creeping back up. I dealt with this immediately...by stopping weighing myself. Ha! thats got that problem licked! Then the heartburn and reflux started up again, the brain fog came back and and I just felt generally bleagh.

Time for a re-think!






No comments:

Post a Comment