Pages

Friday 13 April 2012

Zero Carb...and Another Earthquake!

The re-think.

So what to do now? I went back to the internet of course, and searched low carb, and found Charles Washington.

Charles runs a forum for zero carbers.

Zero carbers? But what about your vegis? Is life healthy with no fruit and veg? Won't I just drop dead of scurvy?

So More research. I discovered A chap called Stefansson who got marooned amongst the Inuit, and lived happily and healthily on an all meat diet. This link goes to the first of 4 articles written by him. http://www.biblelife.org/stefansson1.htm  The other 3 are linked at the bottom of the first. They are great, it reads like boys own adventure meets Dr Atkins

So now I knew one could eat a zero carb diet and live. Then another link took me to the Bear, who reckoned he had lived for over 40 years eating a zero carb diet. Here is a link to Rob's blog that explains all about The Bear. http://zerocarbpath.blogspot.co.nz/  The rest of the blog is interesting reading too but I don't know if he updates anymore.

So, off to try zero carb!

Well, it went very well, I found it hard for the first few days and then settled in happily. By now it was late October, and the quakes had settled down again.

Unfortunately my Dad had taken a turn for the worse, and I booked a flight to the UK in January 2012. I found my appetite dropped the longer I zero carbed, and I felt very well on it. I also lost weight, quite a lot of weight at first, and then the weight loss leveled off, but I continued to lose inches. Either that or my clothes were growing in the wardrobe overnight. I had heaps of energy, and my brain worked better than it had done for years.

The 23rd of December, 2 days before Christmas. My son was setting off to meet a friend, and then they were going to bus to the west side of the city, where the cinemas still worked. He left for the bus stop in the next street, and 5 minutes later it happened again. Another huge quake. I was out of the house and running before the shaking had even stopped. I was barefoot and running down the road into the next street. I was out of breath before I reached the corner. I was desperate to get to my son though, and prayed he had not yet caught the bus. So I jogged a bit, then walked, then jogged.

My son was in the middle of the street, with people from the houses around, and the women from the hairdressers, who know him and us well. We went home.

Back at home son phoned his friend and found out the cinema had been evacuated and was closed. I went into the bedroom to wrap Christmas presents. Hubby was outside, gardening, (remember Christmas is in summer down here).

Then another, bigger, quake hit. It sounded like it was roaring up from right underneath our house. I found out later I was not far wrong. It was less than 1 km from us. I was standing by a bookshelf and the books were coming down on me so I jumped onto the bed. I saw our car jump right off the ground!

We were fine, although shaken, and after about 5 minutes texts came through from the girls. They were both fine, thankfully.

Of course we had no power or water again....

This time was not so bad. The water began trickling through that night, and was running, although at low pressure by Christmas Eve. We went to bed with no power that night, and had the best Christmas pressie in the morning...power! The workmen must have been at it all night...on Christmas Eve! Thank you! Christmas Day was warm and sunny, and like most of the rest of Christchurch we spent the day in the garden, as the aftershocks rolled through yet again. Zero carb BBQ in the garden. Yum!

This latest round of quakes brought a new realisation, however. I was not fit. Running into the next street felt like I had run a marathon. I knew I needed to be fitter. I needed to be able to run. I needed to be able to run to school if necessary, I needed to be able to run across the city if need be.

But it was Christmas day, and in less than a week I would be flying to the UK. I put the thought on hold until I got back.

I was zero carb right up until the day I flew to the UK.




No comments:

Post a Comment