Pages

Monday 11 June 2012

Thoughts about Ketosis

I was thinking about sugar and ketosis, zero carb, grains and all things connected this morning. It was actually very early this morning. We were woken at 2.30am with a 4.2 earthquake that felt more like a 5. The dog barked and barked, and a text came in from daughter no. 2. They were fine but shaken. I was surprised they texted because the quakes normally come from our direction, so we feel them much more than the girls do. However this morning I discovered the epicenter was right under their house, no wonder they were rattled! And thank goodness it was only a 4.2.

Anyway, after all that I found it hard to get back to sleep, and began to think about sugar, ketosis, grains and weight loss.

I wondered if the great feeling you get in ketosis is, in fact, the ketones, or is it just that in order to be in ketosis you must give up all fruits, starchy vegetables, sugars and grains. Is it the ketosis that makes you feel great, or is it the lack of sugars and grains. Last time I tried coming out of ketosis I ate fruit...I made a loaf that included a lot of stewed apple as well as mashed bananas. By day 4 I felt lousy, but that was a lot of sugar for someone who has not had any for a very long time.

Would you feel as good if you ate lots of nuts, non starchy vegetables and fruits like coconut, tomatoes, peppers etc in addition to your meat, fish and fats?

Who knows? Has anyone tried comparing it?

In my ultra running book they talk about aerobic training (no, not the bright lycra stuff we did back in the 80's) its about running within your aerobic capacity so that you turn into a 'fat burner'. It is, of course, necessary not to eat any sugar if you are going to do this (including fruit, grains potatoes etc) your body will burn sugar if it can. Then later after developing yourself as a fat burning athlete, you do the anaerobic training, and burn up your glycogen supplies thus training yourself to go both faster and further.

If one trains ones body to be a fat burner, by eating fat and protein but minimal sugar (carbs) could you get the same benefits as being in ketosis? This is the question I am going to attempt to answer this week or so.

I know I am a fully adapted fat burner. I know this because of my runs. I can run for 2 hours fasted, no problem and no 'bonking' or hitting the wall either during the run or after. Glycogen stores last for 45-90 minutes depending on the amount of training you have done. As I am out for longer than that and am fine I must be burning fat, from my (ample) stores.

This week then, I shall eat Paleo again. I shall not attempt to remain in ketosis. I shall not eat fruit as it has too much sugar, but I will eat nuts and seeds, as well as above ground veg, plus the usual zero carb fare.

Lets see how it goes.




No comments:

Post a Comment