Pages

Sunday 27 May 2012

Hiding From My Blog!

I have been hiding from my blog because I am not sure what to write. I understand from my readers that many people who follow me are interested in living zero carb, and right now I am not!

I shall stick to the truth, however, and you can either follow me through the wilderness and confusion of life, or go and find other zero carbers.

So first....if you are looking for people who are currently zero carbing, you need to visit Charles Washington's site. Charles' site This is a mine of information for people who are considering giving zero carb a shot. The forums are great and full of information from people who are living zero carb every day. Their diaries document the ups and downs of this way of life.

If, however, you are interested in what happens when you STOP zero carb as a way of eating you are in the right place!

Again the disclaimer. I am not a nutritionalist, or a doctor, or a nurse, and I have no authority to give anyone dietry advice or information. All I am is a woman who wanted to lose weight, and decided to blog about my adventures. Please take my story as intended. An online diary of what I am doing and how much weight I am losing, and how I feel about it.

OK, on with the story.

I am as surprised as anyone to not be zero carb right now. I had thought I would carry on like this until I had lost a lot more weight. I was also interested in exercise whilst in ketosis, and I was excited about seeing just how far and how fast it was possible to run whilst in ketosis.

So what AM I eating? I am basically Paleo, plus dairy. For newbies to the wonderful, wacky world of diets, this means the hunter gather diet. If you can hunt it or gather it you can have it. It is grain free, and sugar free. It is also processed food free. (No McDonalds in Paleolithic times!). Because of my low carb background, I am not eating fruit either. This is easy as I prefer cabbage to apples any day of the week. Weird I know, but there we are. However, Paleo is not intrinsically low carb, although it can be.

So basically all I have done is added above ground vegetables, plus the odd nut, to my existing zero carb diet. It feels like a huge, radical departure though. I had eaten myself into a corner, and I was almost afraid of eating a bean sprout. Once I had started though, all was fine. I had steak and stir fried vegetables last night, and very nice it was too.

How do I feel in myself?

Fine. I am still alert, I still have energy. I am more interested in meals, and I have a bit of a backlash against meat at the moment. Just now, I have more vegetables than meat on my plate. I don't seem to have put on weight, in fact I am down another pound this morning, but I am also running quite a lot as the 10k race is on Sunday.

I have not cut off zero carb, as in never going back again. If I put the weight back on, I may have to zero carb again to shift the weight, but right now I am enjoying my vegetables.

One problem I have seen in other dieters and in myself in the past, is devotion to a particular diet against all the odds. Sometimes a particular diet does not work for a particular person, or no longer works where it did before. Yet one has put energy and money into this diet. The special foods have been brought, friends have been talked at for hours about the benefits of this particular way of eating and so on, and to turn around and say, "Changed my mind!" is hard. I am trying hard not to fall into this trap. Over night I decided to stop zero carbing. It's fine, all is well. I can go back to it any time I want, or change to a low fat diet, or a high grain one, if I want. It's all OK.

So back to Paleo I come. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi does water play a factor in your diet? I try to drink at least 2 lt of water in addition to other drinks daily, it reali seems to help my hunger as well as flush my system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't try to drink a certain amount of water a day, but I am very aware of the need for clean fresh water. I try to drink to thirst. On a short run I don't carry water, but if I plan to be out more than an hour I do. Sometimes I plan a run around parks and domains with drinking fountains so I don't have to carry it.

    Other than that, I just drink to thirst. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do as I have heard that by the time you are thirsty you are already dehydrated. I would be interested to read more about this.

    ReplyDelete