Pages

Monday 21 May 2012

5K Run. My First Race!

I did it! My first race!

So here is the story.

The race was organized by the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team, and was along Sumner Esplanade. It was a beautiful morning, cold, sunny with no wind. No surf either, which made it hard for the surf competition happening further along the Esplanade.

Son was also running. He is to attend Outward Bound in December, and has to run 3k in 23 minutes, so he thought he would give 5k a go and see how he did. Hubby, who dished his ankle 3 weeks ago, was driver and support. Both girls were also there. Daughter 1 was writing out the certificates and Daughter 2 was handing out drinks, so it was a family occasion.

The races consisted of a 5k race, a 10k race and a kids 2.5 race. It had a mass start, and everyone shot off into the distance! There was me, 2 walkers and another girl left at the back. The other girl soon stopped jogging, which left me and 3 walkers.....

I tried not to get dispirited right at the start, but it is kind of depressing when even the toddlers have left you in the dust. So I put it out of my mind, and looked out to sea, and tried to enjoy myself. Which I did once I had got used to being at the back. I settled down into my usual slow rhythm, and completed the first lap. When I got to the far end of the second lap I decided I would try and speed up a bit, so I did.

By the end of the last lap I was running flat out, in fact I was almost going as fast as the five year olds!

I finished in 43.52. Hardly the worlds fastest time, but a personal best for me. And when I feel bad about my speed, I try to remember I was walking with sticks 7 years ago.

Son finished in 28.47 so he should be fine for his course in December.

Right...the next one is the 10k on June 3rd! Here we come! I want to finish in under 2 hours, but as I have yet to actually run 10k I expect I shall be walking a lot of it, so we shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment